Monday, March 22, 2010

Tryon, Chetty off to T20 World Cup

Chloe Tryon and Trisha Chetty have been selected for the SA Women’s team to play in the T20 World Cup in the West Indies.

Wicket-keeper Chetty, who previously played for South Africa has scored 380 runs in the round robin stages of the CSA Women’s League with a highest score of 114 and an average of 47.50. She also contributed a valuable 36 in the semi-final demolition of Gauteng.

Sixteen year old Tryon has been the find of the season. The left arm seamer has completed her first full season for the KZN Women. In her eight league appearances, she took 20 wickets with a best of four for 12 against North West. She also bagged three for 23 in the semi-final.

After taking up the game as a three year old, she caps her outstanding season by being selected for South Africa for the first time.

“It’s amazing. I’ve never experienced this before. I’ve worked very hard to get here. In my first season, I have taken 20 wickets for KZN. My dad Brendan has been my inspiration and he has helped me with everything,” said an ecstatic Tryon.

Tryon hails from Ifafa on the KZN South Coast and represents the Umzinto and Districts Cricket Union.
Kathryn Taljaard